Learn to Sail TexasWhat sets us apart?
We are located in one of the windiest coastal cities in the USA. Our basic training philosophy is in line with the ASA standards. We take pride in exceeding the ASA basic requirements.
Learn to Sail Texas requires that the ASA 101 Basic Keelboat class is taught on a relatively small, (25 foot, but could sleep 5), tiller boat with hank on sails. This requirement makes a huge, positive difference in the beginners learning curve. The Corpus Christi Bay covers 192 square miles and unlike other bays in Texas, is primarily open water. When taking a class you will have practical experience with commercial traffic and Aids To Navigation, (ATONS, e.g. buoys). We take our training very seriously, many classes in the Spring and early Summer experience 50+ knots winds. You'll learn how to handle them. The advance classes navigate portions of the Intracoastal Waterway, commercial ship channels, and usually venture into the Gulf of Mexico. Want to know more? Read what our students have to say, Student Testimonials and click here to understand our goals. Our sailing instruction philosophy
Note* ASA has expanded their sailing standards. They now include additional aspects of sailing typically encountered by the cruising sailor. This augmentation is especially true within the 104 curriculum.
Our Sailing Courses, Once you have decided on a class please use the "Enroll Here" link on the left to register.
All ASA fees and textbooks are included in the prices.
- ASA 101 - Basic Keelboat Sailing Course - Summer Special $297.00
- ASA 103 - Basic Coastal Cruising Sailing Course
- ASA 104 - Bareboat Cruising Certification Class
- ASA 103 / ASA 104 Combination Sailing certification Summer Special, (4 day live aboard class). $749.00
- ASA 105 - Coastal Navigation Class
- ASA Fast Track: ASA 101 / ASA 103 / ASA 104 sail certifications, (5 - day live aboard class). $999.00
- ASA RADAR Endorsement Class, call for schedule
- Want more time on the water? Book an ASA 101 that has a 103 / 104 class immediately following the 101. It gives you 6 days on the water, this allows us to concentrate on the basic sailing skill sets during the first two days. Even more time! Take an ASA 101 followed by a 5 day Fast Track. This is a great option for those with no or very little boating experience.
Gift Certificates Available
Our Chief Instructor Captain Chris has been sailing keelboats on the Texas coast since the early 90's and teaching the ASA sailing curriculum for about 10 years.
Captain Chris' US Coast Guard issued Masters License has the following warrants;
- Officer US Merchant Marines
- Commercial Assistance Towing endorsement
- Auxiliary Sail endorsement
- Radar Observer Unlimited endorsement
Our Spring / early Summer weather According to weather.com the average temperatures are:
|Month||Average High||Average Low|
The early Summer sailing season is upon us. It is a great time to be out on the water. The night time temperatures are moderate so we can comfortably spend a night on the hook. Mosquitos are non existent unless we get some rain. The winds have settled down except for the occasional Norther. Students that bring; a hooded sweatshirt, watch cap, windbreaker, jeans and shorts and are comfortable during the "on the water" portion of class. Whether its a two day basic keelboat sail training class or an adventurous six day combination class, we are sure you'll have a positive experience. If you desire additional information not covered under one of the primary link categories please use the Contact Link on the left to drop us a line.
2848B Alameda, Corpus Christi, TX 78404